This weekend, Zest Juice Co. had the unique opportunity to take part in the 10TV Commit to be Fit Expo at The Ohio State Fairgrounds. It was great getting the opportunity to chat with some of you and share our love of health and wellness.
One of the highlights of the event was our Executive Chef, Alyse Cho took the stage for a cooking demonstration.
During her 1 hour on stage, Alyse shared two delicious recipes...one of them you can expect to see on a Zest menu in the near future!
Chocolate Cherry Chia Zest Bars: Yields 8 bars
- 15 dates
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Pulse the almonds in the food processor until coarsely chopped (this can also be done by hand)
- Pit dates and place in the food processor with the cherries. Process until a thick paste forms
- Transfer date and cherry paste to a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and knead together until evenly distributed
- Press dough into a casserole dish lined with wax paper and press until desired thickness. Cover the top of the bars with wax paper and chill for 1 hour.
- When chilled cut into eight equal bars
Massaged Kale Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing: Yields 2 servings
For the massaged kale:
- 1 bundle of curly kale (lacinato is fine as well)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons liquid aminos
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
For the avocado ranch:
- 1 avocado
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill (more can be added to suit taste and fresh dill can also be used. If using fresh dill double the quantity)
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- Filtered water
- Tear or cut out the tough main stem of each kale leaf. (* stems can be saved and used in your homemade green juices) Tear or cut the kale into bite size pieces.
- Finely chop garlic or if you have a microplane grate garlic into a small bowl.
- Whisk together liquid aminos and olive oil with garlic.
- Pour this mixture over the kale and massage with hands until kale is a deeper shade of green and is more tender to the bite (approximately one minute)
- Add all ingredients to blender or food processor and process until smooth. To adjust consistency add one tablespoon of water at a time
- Toss massaged kale with dressing and any other desired salad mix ins such as:
- Grated carrots
- Grated beets
- Sunflower seeds
- Bell peppers
You are only limited by your imagination!