Whaaaaaat, black frozen yogurt? Yup, you better believe it. Zest’s Charcoal Lemonade is so popular for its detoxifying benefits. Activated charcoal acts like a sponge for the body soaking up and eliminating toxins. Zest customers love picking up a charcoal lemonade if they are feeling a sickness brewing, or more commonly to cure a hangover. It happens to the best of us. Also! Ironically, this deep black powder actually whitens your teeth.
So, I was thinking, why not add this miracle powder to other foods! Not only is it amazing for your body, but eating black food is pretty fascinating. AND this recipe really could not be easier. I wanted to make a topping for the frozen yogurt that looked pretty and contrasted against the black but also had some magical ingredients. I named this “mood dust” because it has maca powder in it, which as you know from last week’s bulletproof coffee recipe balances your mood, hormones and is great for your skin. Coconut is our “good kind of fat” friend that has so many benefits. Read this article to find out what they all are.
You all ready for this incredibly simple yet mesmerizing recipe?
INGREDIENTS: (Yield: serves 1)
- 1 container vanilla coconut yogurt (or other non dairy yogurt)
- ¼ tsp activated charcoal powder (I broke open one capsule that you can get at most drug/grocery stores)
- 1 tbsp non dairy milk
For mood dust:
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp maca powder
- About 4 hours (or overnight) before you plan on making this, scoop yogurt into ice cube trays, mine made 5 ice cubes.
- Put in freezer for about 4 hours or until solid.
- Place ice cubes with a tiny splash of nondairy milk in a high speed blender or food processor
- Blend on high until a creamy texture is formed. This may take a bit of finesse, scraping down sides starting and stopping the blender. Once smooth add charcoal and blend to mix in.
- Pour mixture in a small bowl and spread out. Place in freezer for about 20 minutes if you want a more ice cream like “scoopable” texture.
- While this freezes add coconut, maca and sugar to a blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds until a fine sandy texture forms.
- Scoop frozen yogurt using an ice cream scoop into a bowl and top with coconut mood dust!
- Oh, and take a picture of it for your Instagram story because everyone will be jealous of your magical hippie frozen yogurt.