Want something that will take your mind off the fact that May is starting out chilly? I do! There is nothing that cures a dreary day like a little tea time. While this heavenly bread bakes, boil some water, pick out your favorite mug brew up some warming tea.
This bread is something comforting and familiar as it is something that my mom would have in the house for us growing up. It is just one more bit of evidence that eating vegan or plant based really is not restrictive in any way! You can customize almost ANY recipe into making it fit your dietary wants and needs. Plus this tastes EXACTLY the same if not better. I may be biased, but I am telling you the truth!
- ¾ cups butter
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp cane sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2.5 Tbsp ground flax and 7 Tbsp water mixed together)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract OR 6 drops lemon essential oil
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup plant milk (I used almond)
- The juice of 1.5 lemons
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a bread pan with a little bit of coconut oil and parchment paper.
- Start by creaming the butter and sugars together in a standing or hand mixer. Beat for about 1 minute, until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the flax eggs and stir on low to combine. Add vanilla, lemon extract/oil baking soda and salt and stir to combine.
- Add lemon juice to the 1 cup of plant milk and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Pour into bowl and mix on medium for about 1 minute until everything is smooth.
- Add lemon zest and poppy seeds and mix once more on low.
- Pour bread mixture into prepared bread pan and pop it in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.