Simple, fresh, comforting and gorgeous! Yes, this blackberry galette is all of those things. Have a last minute dinner party or dessert to bring to a gathering? You can have this galette warm and out of the oven in just 45 minutes. And when your friends ask “is this homemade?” you can honestly say yes and not even be lying that the crust is actually pillsbury. Homemade pie crusts are SO SIMPLE and don’t have any sketchy filler ingredients.
If you aren't into blackberries, try strawberries! It is strawberry season in Ohio after all. So, let’s get to this vegan rustic blackberry galette!
- 1 cup white flour
- ½ cup Earth Balance (cold)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅛-¼ cup ice water
- 3 cups blackberries
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Melted 1 Tbsp butter
- Cane sugar for sprinkling on top
Vegan vanilla ice cream
- Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add flour and salt to a mixing bowl. Stir.
- Take cold butter (Earth balance) out of the fridge and cut into small cubes. Add to the flour mixture and using a pastry cutter or your hands mix the butter into the flour until it turns into pea sized balls throughout.
- Then add the ice water slowly, mixing with a wooden spoon until the dough just comes together into a ball.
- Form into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator (for at least 20 minutes).
- Add blackberries to a mixing bowl and add lemon juice and cane sugar. Stir to coat the berries.
- Once the oven is preheated flour a clean surface and remove the dough from the fridge. Unwrap the dough and place on floured surface. Using a rolling pin roll in a circle shape until the dough is about ¼ inch thick.
- Get a round pizza stone and carefully transfer rolled dough to the stone. Scoop berries into the center of the crust, letting them heap and not roll all the way to the edges of the dough. Now is the fun part. Simply fold one section up and over the berries and then continue all the way around doing section by section to achieve the classic galette look. You might need to do some tucking and smoothing but it really is quite simple.
- Brush the crust with melted butter, sprinkle with cane sugar and pop in the oven for about 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Cut in pizza type shapes and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Best eaten when warm.