Ahh, chocolate chip pancakes! So nostalgic and comforting and HEALTHY? Yes! These pancakes are made with whole grains, vegan and could easily be substituted with gluten free flour! The perfect addition to your brunch.
- 2 c. flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 very full tbsp. ground flax
- 5 tbsp. lukewarm water
- 2 c. almond milk
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Coconut oil for spraying
- Vegan butter and maple syrup for serving
- Make the flax egg by combining ground flax with water — stir and set aside for minimum 15 minutes, maximum 1 hour.
- Next, make the ‘buttermilk’: add the almond milk to your Vitamix, then add the juice of one lemon.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, cinnamon, coconut sugar and soda directly to your Vitamix and pulse on low a few times. Do not over-mix.
- Immediately after adding the dry mix to the almond milk, add your flax eggs and melted coconut oil, then blend on speed 1 (or low) for about eight seconds. Scrape down the sides and blend again (on low) for 3 seconds. With the lid off, let the batter sit for five minutes.
- Heat your greased pan or griddle to medium heat. Spray some coconut oil on the griddle. Drop a heaping 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle at a time. Sprinkle on some chocolate chips. Flip when bubbles appear in the batter.
- Enjoy with maple syrup and vegan butter.