This recipe is for all those breakfast and brunch lovers out there. People who go to bed at night with one thing on their mind: breakfast.
This breakfast sandwich makes a statement if you make it for friends or family, especially when you tell them it's vegan! It has all the flavors you look for in a typical breakfast sandwich, smoky salty bacon, creamy egg yolk (which is replaced with our aioli), and buttery avocado.
And for all my gluten free people out there, just swap that bagel with your favorite toasted gluten free bread or bagel! Eat up!
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 2 bagels (make sure they are vegan)
- 1 avocado
- 5 cherry tomatoes, or ¼ normal sized one
- Sprouts (could be broccoli, sunflower or whatever you like!)
For the mushroom bacon:
- ½ cup button mushrooms sliced very very thin
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- Cracked black pepper
For the curry aioli:
- ½ cup raw cashews (preferably soaked for a few hours)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all mushroom bacon ingredients (minus the mushrooms) to a small bowl and whisk together. Add the mushrooms and toss to coat them with the marinade. Set aside.
- While the oven is preheating you can make the curry aioli. Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend on high for 1 minute, or until it is very smooth. Adjust seasonings, adding more salt if you like, more curry or even lime juice. Pour into a mason jar to store.
- Once the oven is preheated, pour your mushrooms out onto the parchment lined baking pan. Spread them out evenly, so none are overlapping. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until mushrooms are bubbly and slightly browned. Remove from pan and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- To assemble toast you bagel, add a layer of curry aioli to the top and bottom halves of the bagel. Then add sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, sprouts, mushroom bacon and top with other half of the bagel!