It is cookie swap/holiday party/baking season y'all! What better thing to bring to your cookie swap than a cookie inspired by a favorite Zest smoothie, the Pistachio Oatmeal Cookie!!
These cookies are perfect in every way. Crunchy outside, chewy inner, sweet and salty and if you want to go the extra mile, dip them in dark chocolate!
During the last week I've been eating them as a breakfast cookie with my coffee (I highly recommend this).
I did not go the gluten free route on these cookies but that is an easy fix. Instead of using all purpose flour swap it out with brown rice flour, or oat flour! Whip these up for your friends and family and prove to everyone that vegan baking is delicious!
- ½ cup (1 stick) plus 6 Tbsp vegan butter (coconut oil could work too however I did not test it)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 5 Tbsp water. Let sit for 3 minutes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups oats
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped pistachios (salted or unsalted, your choice!)
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars together in a standing or hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add flax eggs and vanilla and beat for one minute.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, oats and salt and stir in on low until combined, be careful not to over mix.
- Stir in pistachios until just combined.
- On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper scoop out 1-2 Tbsp of cookie dough depending on how big you want your cookies and roll into balls. Place the cookie dough balls 1 inch apart on the sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until cracked, and the edges are slightly golden.
- Take out and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for about 30 minutes.
- If you want to dip your cookies in chocolate, melt ⅓ cup vegan dark chocolate chips in the microwave starting with 45 seconds and then stirring. Microwave in 30 second intervals stirring after each time until the chips are melted to make sure the chocolate doesn't burn.
- Once your cookies are cool and will not burn, dip half the cooke in the chocolate and place on a cooling rack with parchment paper underneath so the excess chocolate can drip down. Add crushed pistachio to the chocolate if you like!