Can you believe next week is Thanksgiving? On this Friday before the holiday, I would like to give Thanks for Pecan Pie!
First off: do not ever believe that eating healthy is boring! If you've had a Zest Cacao Almond Bowl then you know it tastes like creamy chocolate ice cream great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Healthy eating can be abundant and delicious!
The holidays can be a stressful time when it comes to healthy eating. Lucky for you, there is a way to indulge in classic holiday desserts and not feel the guilt. I have whipped up this chocolate pecan pie that is both vegan and gluten free. If you bake this to take to your family thanksgiving I promise NO ONE will ever know it was vegan.
For the crust:
¾ cup gluten free oats
¾ cup raw almonds
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup melted coconut oil
½ cup cocoa or cacao powder
Pinch of salt
For the filling:
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup vegan butter (I use Earthbalance) or coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pecans plus more for topping
⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips
1 can full fat coconut milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cornstarch
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all crust ingredients to a food processor and blend until everything is finely ground and the mixture starts to resemble a dough like texture.
- Add the crust mixture to a tart pan with a removable bottom or a pie pan. Spread out evenly with the back of a spoon and up the sides of the pan. You can spread this out pretty thin, just keep working on it!
- Bake the crust for five minutes in the preheated oven. Then take out and set aside while you start on the filling.
- For the filling add butter, sugar, and vanilla to a saucepan over medium heat. Let all ingredients melt together, stirring occasionally. This will take about 5 minutes. Once everything is liquified add the coconut milk, cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir until everything is smooth and there are no clumps, about two minutes.
- When the mixture is smooth, remove from heat and add chocolate chips and chopped pecans, stirring until the chocolate is all melted and smooth. This may take a few minutes of stirring, the heat from the liquid will slowly melt the chocolate just keep stirring and you will get there!
- After the mixture is smooth pour over the crust and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove from the oven and decorate the top with whole pecans in whatever design you like! Place back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- When you take the pie out of the oven you should let it rest for at least one hour, preferably 2-3 hours before you eat as the filling needs time to cool and set.